Help needed, multiple issues lxle 16.04/Travelmate 2420
  • Hello,
    I have an old ACER TravelMate 2420 (circa 2006) that I have installed lxle 16.04 on a while back. Initially I had primarily one issue, It does not power off at shutdown:
    it leaves the GUI and says "OK" for many lines until and including "Reached target shutdown", after that starting at "Sending SIGTERM to remaining processes..." no more "OK" are given. It says on one of the following lines "Process 8479 (plymouthd) has been marked to be excluded from killing. It is running from the root file system, and thus likely to block re-mounting of the root file system to read-only. Please consider moving it into an initrd file system instead", another few lines follows until the "Powering off" line is shown and everything grinds to a halt. It only shuts off after I press the powerbutton for a long time... Do you think plymouthd is the problem? any other suggestions?

Today I noticed another problem, which i suspect was there all along: when I close the lid, the screen stays on but when I open it up again the computer is frozen and I (again) need to press the power button for a long time. Same problem as above somehow?

Originally I had only one user, but yesterday I added another one and (administrator also), any time I log on as the new user the computer will not automatically connect to wifi... it does for the original user (and from what I can tell, the settings are the same)!

I am an inexperienced user so would appreciate any suggestions you may offer.
    /P
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Is the machine updated? Have you run check and install updates?
  • Yes I have, the shutdown problem has been around since I first installed lxle - so many updates ago...
  • lxlelxle
    ok i'll take a look
  • Thanks, let me know if you need a more specific description of the lines or anything else.
  • Tried those, no luck though... any thoughts regarding the screen not shutting off at closing lid and freezing computer up?

Or the issue with the computer not automatically connecting to wifi?
  • lxlelxle
    freezing up? are you sure it's not just the screen lock?
  • lxlelxle
    perhaps this for shutdown...

https://askubuntu.com/a/1069134

there seems to be many many reasons and solutions for it not shutting down..
  • Well it's not pixelated, and the mouse pointer doesn't move, so I'd say it's freezing up when it tries to go into hibernation after closing the lid. Requires me to press the power button for a long  shuttime to computer off and then restart for anything to happen.

I'll go through the suggested solutions from your link, will let you know if I find one that works.

Regarding the wifi issue, I removed the new user and added an even newer one and now it connects as expected. 
  • lxlelxle
    I bet if you disabled hibernation it would also solve the power down issue.

to disable hibernation follow this guide.. i would suggest using sudo pluma rather than sudo nano so it's easier

https://fossbytes.com/enable-disable-hibernate-option-ubuntu-power-menu/

for the lid... (if you still need it)  i would use sudo pluma and open /etc/systemd/logind.conf  found on the guide of this page and enter ignore

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-sg/how12691/how-to-disable-sleep-and-configure-lid-power-settings-for-ubuntu-or-red-hat-enterprise-linux-7?lang=en