Help needed, multiple issues lxle 16.04/Travelmate 2420
  • Thanks, will try these suggestions.

Also, I upgraded to 18.04 in an attempt to get away from the problem - but that didn't work either (should've guessed...). BUT another problem emerged: when trying to check and install updates (I have 290+ updates to make) one of them apparently fails and the process stops without installing the other ones... have tried it 3 times now with the same result.
    The problem is this:
    "E: Failed to fetch https://netix.dl.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt/pool/main/s/seamonkey-mozilla-build...  Undetermined Error [IP: 87.121.121.2 443]
    E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?"

Tried apt-get with no luck and do not understand what is meant by the --fix-missing approach...

• Well, the changes for the hibernation and the lid changed the finishing lines of the  shutdown process and the look of the screen after it was once again opened - but no change in the absolute outcome (still now powering off and still a frozen computer). I guess I will just have to power the computer off by pressing the power-button for 5 seconds or so and not to shut the lid.

Regarding the check and install updates problem, it was just me being an idiot and having seamonkey-session ongoing... everything is ok on that part.

Thanks for trying to help.

• lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Ok... sorry those solutions didn't work for you. I think I'm finally going to be making a change with seamonkey... it's getting harder and harder to keep it going. I seem to be constantly mending it.
  • I installed Vivaldi, runs a little too slow to be usable for everything on my system - but has the advantage of adding the chromecasting button for youtube compared to seamonkey.
  • pelle_pmspelle_pms
    PMPosts: 11
    In the highly unlikely event that anyone runs into the exact same problem as I did, I have found a solution:
    1. In terminal write: sudo pluma /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    2. Scroll to the very end of the file and write: blacklist wistron_btns
    3. save and close the file
    4. Restart the computer (shutdown/reboot the old and non functional way)
    5. Now the computer should poweroff as intended

I found the information here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/520011/fresh-install-of-xubuntu-on-an-acer-travelmate-2410-system-wi...