Whats even considered 'old' anymore?
  • my3kemy3ke
    PMPosts: 2
    I'm working on a couple of old bits of hardware and your lightweight 32bit version would still work well on my Acer Aspire One netbook with a Atom processor and 1gb of RAM.  The current version of LXLE is working on it just fine.  On this old HP 14 Chromebook with a 64bit Haswell, 4gb of RAM and 16gb onboard storage I'm thinking of replacing GalliumOS with LXLE.  I think it could be a good fit as the current OS on here appears to be no longer supported.  As an aside, I use LXLE on family member PCs because they just want something that works well.  It fills the bill nicely.
    --
    Just a regular guy doing regular guy stuff.
  • I have a little problem here, I need advice.
    1 - I’ve updated bios
    2 - inserted 2 memory sticks, 2gb each. PC did not load, and produced continuous beeping sound.
    3 - put back old sticks, 1gb each. PC loads fine
    4 - put old 1gb stick to the dimm1 and 2gb new stick to the dimm2. PC loads fine and shows 3072MB, ok.
    5 - in order to make sure that both 2gb sticks work, I replaced 2gb on dimm2 with the second 2gb stick, again pc works fine.

So both my 2gb sticks for upgrade work fine, but pc doesn’t load when I put them in pair. However pc will load if I put 1gb to the dimm1. What may be the solution?
  • MuhibbijAbadMuhibbijAbad
    PMPosts: 32
    Eventually I ended up with replacing motherboard.
    Now I can put core duo processors with more cores and cache size. 
    I have put Pentium E5300 2.6ghz, two cores, 2MB L2 cache, and my two 2gb sticks work fine, so I have 4gb of ram
    And more, previous Pentium D 531 did not had 64bit instruction set, that means it can only run 32bit OS. But E5300 does support 64bit instruction set and now I can install 64bit version of LXLE.
    I will wait for 20.04 and install it on this my old machine.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    I had a successful build and install last night. Still need to work out a few bugs and of course test test test. But it's a good sign.
    Thanked by 1MuhibbijAbad
  • MuhibbijAbadMuhibbijAbad
    PMPosts: 32
    I can't believe it is happening. I had almost decided that LXLE is dead and now here is the new release. I believe it will be as good as previous releases if not better.
    Have a nice day!
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    I'm not going to reinvent the wheel. There will be a few changes but as of yet nothing major as I think it's pretty solid already.
  • Yep!

By the way, Does private messaging work in this forum?
  • pzeta59pzeta59
    PMPosts: 1
    I'm new in this forum; I start using LXLE many years ago on different PCs and I always found LXLE the best lightweight distro. I installed the first time on the PC of my wife, a DELL Studio 1555 with 320 GB HDD and 4 GB RAM.
    Now I use on a DELL Latitude D620 with 160 GB HDD and 3 GB RAM. This PC work very well with LXLE.
    It has a chipset hardware limitation and the BIOS cannot detect more then 3 GB RAM even in case 4GB are installed.
    In this case a 32 bits OS is a good solution in my personal opinion.
    I also use on a ACER EeePC 1015CX equipped with 320 GB HDD and 2GB RAM, a 2012 PC originally shipped with Ubuntu 12.04.
    This PC has a Intel ATOM  N2600 @ 1.6 GHz; it has EMT64 technology but it is disabled in the BIOS and cannot be enabled with original ACER BIOS. On this PC 64 bits distro cannot run.
    On this PC I tested different lightweight distro like AntiX and Elive.
    AntiX does not detect PC webcam and microphone; and I don't like the UI of Elive.
    LXLE is the only lightweight distro that work perfectly on this PC and I like very much.
    So I hope that LXLE will continue to support this kind of PC, even if I understand that these are old machine.

Excuse me for my english, I'm italian.
  • verdantverdant
    PMPosts: 6
    In my case, desktop PCs dating from 2004 with a LGA775 MOBO, a Core 2Quad CPU and a max of 8G DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM because they are so reliable.......
  • I am going to try LXLE on my old Acer Aspire One D255E netbook with Intel Atom N455 (1.66GHz, 512KB cache) and 1GB DDR3 memory and see how it does.  I will report back with my findings.