Keyboard layout not changing, lxkeymap won't change or save settings
  • I got this issue today, the keyboard layout is not changing and lxkeymap won't change or save settings. I got stuck with a US or GB keyboard layout (I think) and cannot change it back to my keyboard layout which is portuguese from Portugal (pt).
    It happened after I set the system language to GB English and even after I reverted it back to portuguese from Portugal the issue did not go away.

I tried a complete uninstall and reinstall of lxkeymap but no luck; I ran lxkeymap as sudo in the terminal and every time I tried to change the language and clicked on apply I got on the terminal the error "Unable to save to lxsession". And the keyboard layout is never changed, I cannot type special characteres, not even on the test bar of lxkeymap.

What can I do to fix this? 

Thank you very much in advance.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    It's my fault. I implemented a space saving technique by removing all the base languages except english. It's turned out to be a real pain... you can fix it though..

http://www.lxle.net/forums/discussion/1294/language-support-easy-fix/p1

Thanked by 1pemartins
  • Once again I thank you very much for your help.

That didn't work for me, I reinstalled everything and tried everything, logout after logout and reboot after reboot. It looks like an issue related to the one I previously had with languages http://www.lxle.net/forums/discussion/1334/weather-app-visual-issue/p1

So I gave up and set everything in Languages to GB English, that way the keyboard is correctly set to portuguese keyboard and lxkeymap works (I assume, won't try it 'cause I don't wanna end up again without proper keyboard configuration, writing in portuguese without being able to type stuff like çãàáéèóòõêôâ and so on is a pure and simple nightmare! :D).

So it's solved, I wanted to have LXLE in english so no worries, the region is not set properly (it's in GB English also) but all is working this way. And I really don't know what the region changes if I set it to portuguese, I had it before like that and I didn't notice any changes at all.
  • lxlelxle
    thanks but I really got to solve this by the next point release... if you are available at any time for some more troubleshooting let me know so we can try some ideas.
    Thanked by 1pemartins
  • lxlelxle
    you might have to setup an input method like ibus,,, check the preferences and input method.
    Thanked by 1pemartins
  • I'm glad to help.

So I set the region to portuguese, after login the keyboard was not working properly, just as mentioned before. So after I did:
    1- Installed iBus from Preferences -- Input method.
    2- Installed optional complements
    Logout
    3- Ran iBus preferences
    4- Started iBus input methods (iBus Daemon)
    Logout

Still not working because I cannot set iBus as my Keyboard Input Method, I have no idea where or how to do it. Here's the message displayed by iBus:

Can you tell me where to set it?

A quick off topic, by mistake I deleted the Main Menu from the top panel, I was playing around with the available items and doing customization and added another Main Menu item and then deleted the wrong one. But now I noticed that the newly added Main Menu isn't just like the one I had, it is missing, aside from my customized shortcuts, also the shortcuts you added for Updates and Search. Is there a way I can get the original Main Menu back?
  • lxlelxle
    menu>preferences>input preferences, you can also get there by going to languages

menu problem

http://www.lxle.net/forums/discussion/957/restore-default-panels

Thanked by 1pemartins
  • Thank you very much for the Main Menu fix.

Back to the issue, in menu>preferences>input preferences I already have iBus, here's the printscreen:

But that is not making iBus as my Keyboard Input Method, when I restart the system and if I go to preferences>iBus preferences, I always get the message that it isn't runing:

And even after it is running, it's not making any difference at all. So I assume there is something that should be made somewhere to make it autostart and the default Keyboard Input Method.

EDIT: forget about it, I saw my mistake as soon as I posted here, I had the input method set to none instead of iBus. Already set it to iBus, restarted the system and it is now all running fine indeed! I'll do some more testing, will set everything back to portuguese and will let you know if some issue comes up.

• Concerning the terminal the issue remains, the character typing problem is still not solved with iBus when the language is set to portuguese. I must include "-en pt_PT.utf8" when running the terminal, otherwise I'll have a problem with the special characters.
    But in english all is fine and I do not need to include "-en pt_PT.utf8", all displays just fine.
  • lxlelxle
    hmmm, i'm not even sure where to look for that,,, xterm might have something on it...
    Thanked by 1pemartins
  • Concerning uxterm one thing that helps is if you set on its configuration UTF8 by default. If I'm not mistaken when I first had the problem with the weather app, one of the things I made was replacing the uxterm's config file with another one that didn't have all the settings you have and on the right click instead of paste (which is very useful) had a menu; in that menu I could check UTF8 and I believe it solved the problem, or at least I have that in mind. I cannot replicate it because I have no idea what I did at the time, I remember changing some things in some places but I do not recall at all even a tenth of what I did and how.