Which ATI driver for a Radeon Xpress 200M?
  • I am using LXLE 32Bit OS on a laptop Dell Inspiron 1501, but the graphic driver it's not installed...
    For RS482/RS485 [Radeon Xpress 1100/1150] which graphics card driver should I install?

Thanks in advance.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Menu>Preferences>Additional Drivers
  • Done, but not solved: No proprietary drivers are in use on this system.

Appears only Broadcom STA wireless driver
    This package contains Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver for use with Broadcom's BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4313-, BCM4321-, BCM4322-, BCM43224-, and BCM43225-, BCM43227- and BCM43228-based hardware.

• lxlelxle
    If additional drivers didn't find it, then most likely there is not a proprietary driver available for your chip on Linux, either that or the kernel your running is too old to support the driver that accompanies that chip. You can try installing 'fglrx' but I doubt it's going to pick up the chip and may leave it unbootable.
  • rfry85rfry85
    PMPosts: 210
    There is a legacy flgrx driver. But It is a pain to install. see here https://launchpad.net/~makson96/+archive/ubuntu/fglrx

I have it installed on my wifes laptop running lxle 12.04.5, but the open source driver seems to work just as well.
  • The legacy flgrx driver it's not good, is AMD Catalyst Legacy 13.1 only for Radeon HD 2xxx - 4xxx...
    I have ATI Radeon Xpress x1150 and what I need is ATI Catalyst 9.3 released in 2009 ...so not an option

The kernel I'm using is 3.2.0-76-generic

Now the question is how to install the open source driver?

• rfry85rfry85
    PMPosts: 210
    make sure the package xserver-xorg-video-radeon is installed. Then try adding   nomodeset to grub boot parameters.
  • lxlelxle
    if the system is booting to the desktop, then it's already running the opensource driver, that isn't something you usually need to 'go get'.
  • I have:
    Driver in use:         vesa
    Rendering method:      AIGLX

The vesa driver is not capable of running Compiz, so I need to install the proper driver for my graphics card. 

According to the Synaptic Package Manager, the package xserver-xorg-video-radeon is installed (green check box).

• lxlelxle
    terminal

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
  • I did use sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg but system still uses vesa...